Curriculum Vitae PDF
300 Main Street, Room C206
Civil & Environmental Engineering
University of South Carolina
- Ph.D., University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX (2000)
- M.S.E., University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX (1997)
- B.S., California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, CA (1991)
Dr. Ziehl oversees and maintains an active research program in the areas of structural
prognostics, nondestructive evaluation, in-situ load testing, repair and strengthening,
composite materials, and prestressed/reinforced concrete structures. His research
team is carrying out several projects including: 1) Structural Health Monitoring
for Prognosis of Steel and Reinforced Concrete Structures; 2) Damage Identification
Algorithms for Carbon Fiber Reinforced Materials; 3) Characterization of Nanocomposite
Concrete; 4) Evaluation Criteria for In-situ Load Testing; and 5) Characterization
and Guidelines for Prestressed Pile to Bent Cap Connections in Seismic Regions.
New projects will be starting in the near future.
Professor Ziehl works closely with five PhD students (Aaron Larosche, Mohamed ElBatanouny,
Jese Mangual, Aditya Apalla, and Mozahid Hossain), one Research Assistant Professor
(Jianguo Yu), one Post Doctoral Researcher, three undergraduate students, and several
Faculty members within and outside the department. Dr. Francisco Barrios recently
defended his PhD and is on the Faculty at the Universidad Del Valle in Columbia,
South America. Other recent PhD graduates are working in design and analysis with
an emphasis on nuclear structures. Dr. Ziehl has openings in his group for PhD students
with an interest in structural health monitoring, prestressed concrete analysis
and design, and development of damage identification algorithms.
- Yu, J., Ziehl, P., Zarate, B., and Caicedo, J., (2011), “Prediction of Fatigue Crack
Growth in Steel Bridge Components using Acoustic Emission”, Journal of Constructional
Steel Research, Vol. 67, No. 11, pp. 1254-1260.
- Ziehl, P., Engelhardt, M., Fowler, T., Ulloa, F., Medlock, R., and Schell, E., (2009),
“Design and Live Load Evaluation of a Hybrid FRP/RC Bridge Superstructure System”,
ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 309-318.
- Ramirez, G., Ziehl, P., and Fowler, T., (2009), "Effect of Temperature on Acoustic
Emission Evaluation of FRP Vessels Subjected to Fluid Pressure",
ASME Journal of
Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 131, No. 9, pp. 1-1-6.
- Liu, Z. and Ziehl, P., (2009), “Evaluation of RC Beam Specimens with AE and CLT
Criteria”, ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 106, No. 3, pp. 1-12.
- Chen, Y., Ziehl, P., Ramirez, G., and Fowler, T., (2007), “Effect of Temperature
on the Acoustic Emission Evaluation of FRP Vessels (Tensile Tests)”,
of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 129, Issue 3, pp. 516-524.