I am a Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of South Carolina (UofSC) with specialization in transportation engineering. Prior to coming to UofSC in 2008, I was a faculty member at North Carolina A&T State University. Before that, I worked at the Port of Houston Authority as a project manager and systems analyst. I received both of my Ph.D. and M.S. degrees in Transportation Engineering from the University of Texas at Austin.
My current research interests include (1) supply chain and logistics, (2) intermodal network design, (3) freight transportation systems, (4) civil infrastructure systems, and (5) health care systems. The common thread in my research is the application of transportation engineering, operations research, computer science, and management science techniques to improve system efficiency while ensuring quality customer (or patient) service. I am particularly interested in using technologies to capture data to enable more sophisticated modeling of infrastructure and health care systems.
Additional information about me can be found in my CV.
My Contact information
University of South Carolina
Department of Civil
and Environmental Engineering
300 Main Street
Columbia, SC 29208
January 17, 2020: Dr. Huynh and five of his graduate students attended the Transportation Research Board (TRB) 99th Annual Meeting last week in Washington DC to present their research work. The titles of papers presented by his students are:
- Model for Collaboration among Freight Carriers in Domestic Intermodal Freight Transportation
- Assessment of Horizontal Collaboration Benefits in Vehicle Routing Problems with Pickup and Delivery
- Modeling the Truck Appointment System as a Multi-Player Game
- Cost-Effectiveness of Performing Field Investigation for Rehabilitation Design
- Injury Severity Analysis of Truck-Involved Crashes under Different Weather Conditions
- A Multi-Period Optimization Model for Siting Capacitated Intermodal Facilities
In his role as Chair of the TRB Intermodal Freight Terminal Design and Operations Committee, Dr. Huynh presided over the committee meeting. He also served as the moderator of a panel session titled 'Impact of Tariffs and Supply Chain Realignment on Intermodal Terminals' that his committee sponsored.